How does an author make my very exclusive auto-purchase list? By defining a new romance. An author must write a book that moves me to the core. Create a title that takes me on a journey. Changes the habits of my heart. Gives me strength. Renews my hope. Reminds me that there is more than one kind of love.
Here are 3 reasons why Sherry Gloag has made my auto-purchase list?
(1) The Brat is flawless. Sherry Gloag creates three dimensional characters who have more than one hang up, more than one fear, more than one secret, more than one desire, and weaves their complicated relationships together like Parisian Couture.
(2) Sherry is daring. She doesn’t hesitate to develop a story that touches on the darker side of life. Death. Jealousy. Hate. Fear. Pain. By fearlessly exploring these emotions, it makes the journey real, human, and reading about the rewards after experiencing a hard fought struggle is that much more pleasurable.
(3) Sherry maintains her own voice. You can tell that The Brat is first and foremost a book that happens to have romantic parts, not a book dedicated to romance. Although this is her debut novel, she has stayed true to herself and her original thoughts, and that uniqueness definitely shines through in her work.
Here are my auto-purchase list and the books that have changed me.
- Emily Giffin – Something Borrowed, Something Blue
- Philippa Gregory – The Other Boleyn Girl
- Regina Hale Sutherland – The Queens of Woodlawn Avenue
- Elizabeth Adler – Invitation to Provence
- Sherry Gloag – The Brat
COMMENT: Name an author on your auto-purchase list.