Hello everyone! I am so happy to introduce the author you have been reading about all week, Sherry Gloag! Her debut novel, The Brat, is absolutely fantastic! If you want to read the review or find out why Sherry has made my exclusive auto-purchase list, smack those links! Without further ado, here’s Sherry Gloag!
1. What inspired you to write The Brat?
I’d stalled on the final book of a 3 book miniseries when Gina turned up out of the blue and bugged me to tell her story. Determined to finish the wip I ignored her but she wasn’t having any of it and finally when she kept waking me up at night, I caved.
2. What is your favorite scene in the book?
This is a truly difficult question to answer because Gina was totally justified in her persistence and there are several scenes I enjoy reading again. But the one that comes to mind is Gina’s ‘Ah-ha’ moment. Without giving to much away I can’t be more detailed than that.
3. Your characters really jumped off the page and felt completely real. Did you model Gina and Ben after anyone you know?
Neither Gina nor Ben was modelled from people I know. They had their own agenda and they made sure I didn’t stray from it. And if I did, I was soon put right, if not by them, then by my wonderful editor, Cindy.
4. I loved the depth of the plot and the multiple layers in Gina’s characters. Did you plan this from the beginning or did it develop during the writing process?
Sorry, no I didn’t plan it. When writing my miniseries when I reached the end of one chapter I pretty well knew how the next would pan out, but with The Brat it was an exploration from start to finish.
5. Why did you choose to open The Brat with a funeral?
I wanted the reader to get a clear picture of my heroine, so I put both Ben and Gina in a position where he could watch her and ‘tell’ the reader what he ‘saw’ rather than have me tell them.
6. What was one of the most surprising things you learned while writing The Brat?
The strength and depth of the relationship that developed between me and all the characters in the book was a mega surprise. They will always remain very special ‘people’ to me.
7. The Brat is such an amazing story! I have to ask… Will there be a sequel?
No, I can’t see myself writing a sequel to The Brat.
8. Are you working on a new novel? If so, can you tell us a little bit about it?
I have returned to the first book, Duty Calls, in my miniseries. Trudi, the heroine is another strong woman who has to deal with the cards life has dealt her. By the time she meets, Rafe, the hero again, she’s changed beyond recognition. She has lessons to learn and Rafe has to deal with his heritage.
9. Congratulations on publishing your first novel! What made you decide to become an author?
LOL, I can’t say I decided to become an author, ‘it’ was always there in the background. My writings while at school were confiscated! Later my efforts came winging back with comments attached. Then in 2006 after I’d begun writing in earnest again, I came across an amazing online crit group. I owe them a lot.
10. Where do you get most of your writing done? At home?
Yes, I write at home.
11. Do you have any writing quirks?
I don’t think so :-) I try to write something every day, be it my wip, a review, or a crit. And then there’s my blog and website, too.
12. How did you overcome writer’s block (if you had any)?
I came across a quote online that I believe is attributed to Nora Roberts. “You can fix a bad page, you can’t fix a blank one.” When I get stuck I open a new page, title it Freewriting and just go. Sometimes it’s good enough to slot into the wip, other times it’s a load of rubbish and best shelved.
13. What do you like to do when you are not writing?
I enjoy reading, gardening, walking and craftwork.
14. What advice do you have for aspiring authors in the process of writing their first book?
Believe in yourself, because if you don’t, why should anyone else? And keep writing.
15. Which is hotter: A Greek Man or an English Man?
ROFL I can’t repeat my initial thought when I read this question, but since my Greeks live near the Mediterranean wouldn’t that make them hotter?
16. What is your favorite ice cream flavor?
I am so boring, it’s vanilla because you can add so many other things to it.
17. Which would you rather shop for: Winter clothes or Summer clothes?
Summer clothes because I love the warmth and freedom summer brings.
18. What movie are you dying to see right now?
Not much of a movie fan, so am going to have to pass on this one.
19. What make-up product could you not live without?
Mousturiser. Does that count as make-up?
20. Would you rather have a professional chef or a professional trainer?